Thursday, October 2, 2008

BINGO anyone!



Last night I attended Bingo at the local Elks Club. Why you ask? I asked myself the same question as I sat down with this huge pad of bingo cards and totally confused. I was not prepared for all these new rules and ways to get a bingo. What was with all these bingo patterns.... T, L, 6 pack, crazy kite, a corner stamp, my head was spinning and I thought to myself what am I doing here. Well my mom's group decided to have a fun mom's night out. So I thought to myself what is more fun than controlled gambling?

The early birds game started at 6:00, we arrived at about 6:20 for the main bingo at 6:45 and was scoffed at by many of the regulars. We came to realize that there was no room for us. We needed 8 seats together and it seemed like that would be impossible. Luckily there were some very nice elks members volunteering and helped us scramble up some seats. We ended up having to split our group up. Once we got to our seats I started to look around the room and saw some interesting things like: cushions they brought from home for their seats, good luck stuffed animals and my favorite was their very own Bingo Bag. Did you know they made those? They have the perfect size pockets for all the color daubers that they MUST have. Why they need more than one dauber is beyond me. And if you just read that and don't know what a dauber is it is that fancy ink marker that they use to mark their numbers. Clearly these old folks meant business.

So the game begins. After the first two games I started to get the hang of it. I began to understand all these rules. Then it clicked why all these people show up every Wednesday night, the food is cheap $2.50 for a hamburger and fries and you can win money! You have the possibilty to win $250.00 for each game. 13 games were played and I won nothing...along with the other small games being played between.

All in all we did have fun laughing at ourselves and having a fun time out with just the mommies. So will I be back? I'm not sure if I am ready to become a regular Wednesday night Bingo player but ask me that question when I am about 60.

No comments: